I made them myself

I have taken my attempts at host country integration a little further than most Peace Corps Volunteers in their first three months of service, in that I have seen the inside of an Armenian operating theater, and a large number of Armenian medical professionals have seen the inside of me. I am without a gallbladder, but my surgeon thoughtfully kept the quite startling collection of gallstones, so I still have those. In this land of stone and rock it seems only fitting that I should have my own pebbly pocket-collection to carry around. This time the pouch containing them will not be linked to my digestive system. I have walked a few steps, eaten a baked apple and brushed my teeth and hair. I have clean pajamas. I am pretty much ready for anything.

About Liz Barron

US Peace Corps Volunteer in Armenia. Permanent address in Washington DC. Deep roots in Northern Ireland and persistent Belfast accent. Blogger,cook, mother, grandma, Scrabble-player and enthusiastic world traveler.
This entry was posted in Armenia, Food, Gallbladder, Gallstones, Healthcare, Illness, Peace Corps, Sickness, Social niceties, Things that gladden the heart, Wellness. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to I made them myself

1. Lynn Robson says:

Good grief–you must be 10 pounds lighter. Amazing really; so glad you are through this. 🙂

2. David Wilson says:

Hope you’re right as rain soon

3. Dorothy Givan says:

Hope you will soon be feeling really well again. The stones are amazing – you are definitely better off without them!
    Love Auntie Dot

4. Judy kelly says:

Really?? Those really are yours?? No wonder you were in agony!
    We were both delighted to hear from your cheerful self. We both believe this procedure willl bring you a new lease on life in your upcoming 58th birthday year. Our love and best wishes for many more baked apples
    Judy and Bill

5. Sabine Weissenberg says:

Wow – amazing stones and amazing way to deal with the trouble around them.. speedy recovery!

6. Chris Turner says:

Polish them up, find a nice chain, make a lovely necklace! So glad to hear you’re through the op; your commitment to integration is admirable 🙂 Love, Chris x